Hipbone Sticking Out
Hipbone Sticking Out is a major theatre production made with the community of Roebourne, Western Australia, as part of the Yijala Yala Project. It premiered in Canberra as part of the Centenary of Canberra in 2013, and in 2014 it toured to Roebourne, Perth and Melbourne.
Hipbone Sticking Out is the culmination of over three years of creative collaboration between the community of Roebourne and Big hART, who over the last two years has brought Australian audiences to their feet with Namatjira. It forms part of the larger Yijala Yala Project, which is supported and encouraged by cultural leaders and the creative talent of this Pilbara community.
Hipbone is delivered by a dream cast including Trevor Jamieson (Pitjantjatjara), Lex Marinos (Greek/Australian), Maria Lurighi (Italian/Australian) and Yumi Umiumare (Japanese). The performance combines rich layered vocal harmonies, outrageous comic makeovers, messed up ensemble movement, striking digital imagery, sweeping design and freestyle costuming to create a cosmopolitan work from the edge of the world.
“Visually spectacular…extremely moving, relevant and highly innovative…” – Barefoot Review
“A juxtaposition of dark humour and poignant honesty…perfectly balanced…” – BMA Magazine
“Charged with enegery…Pulses with life…” – Filmalice
The team that created Ngapartji Ngapartji, Namatjira, Nyuntu Ngali, StickybrickS and Junk Theory.
- Writer/Director Scott Rankin(Box the Pony, Ngapartji Ngapartji, Namatjira)
- Associate Director Luke Kernaghan(National Theatre of Scotland, Royal Shakespeare Company)
- Musical Director Nate Gilkes(Chants de Catacombes, Margaret Fulton: Queen of the Dessert)
- Choreographer Yumi Umiumare(Butoh Cabaret, Ngapartji Ngapartji, Tokyo DasSHOKU Girl)
- Co-Choreographer Adelina Larsson(QL2, Strut Dance Choreographic Centre)
- Set Design Genevieve Dugard(Belvoir, Opera Australia, Bangarra Dance Theatre)
- Costume Design Tess Schofield(Cloudstreet, The Diary of a Madman, The Sapphires)
- Lighting Design Matt Cox(Bangarra Dance Theatre, Sydney Theatre Company, Bell Shakespeare)
- Sound Design Jed Silver(Sydney Theatre Company, Belvoir, Circque Du Soleil)
- AV/Video Design Benjamin Ducroz(London International Animation Festival, Asian Art Biennale, MTV)
Performance Ensemble: Dudley Billing, Martin Crewes, Cho Cleary, Shareena Clanton, Sheridan Harbridge, David Hewitt, Trevor Jamieson, Maria Lurighi, Lex Marinos, Natalie O’Donnell, Yumi Umiumare, Michael Whalley, with performers from the Roebourne communityincluding Josie Alec, Patrick Churnside, and Allery Sandy.